Through my four to five years of web design, I have had many clients come and go, and I have had the privilege of serving a few who stay.
And as with every journey through life for that long you learn a few lessons and you make a few observations.
So today I am going to be sharing a few of those observations with you based on personal experience.
If you have no experience whatsoever with web design and hosting, and especially if you plan on doing anything related to that, then this is for you. These are some of the questions I get asked by people who have not done anything related before. Hope it helps.
Most of the things discussed here have been used by web designers to raise service fees which sometimes is unfair.
so arm yourself with these few truths.
1. Email addresses come with your hosting and as such do not need to be paid for.
2. Using a framework should reduce the cost of service. To know if wordpress was used, try visiting “www.yourdomain.com/wp-admin/”.
To be more sure, visit builtwith.com and type in your website name. If things like wordpress, joomla or drupal come up, a framework was used.
3. Hosting a normal site locally without special functionality, like ecommerce sites or web apps have, should not cost you much, N20,000 or $100 is more than necessary. Never seen anyone that expensive for the basic sites.
4. If wordpress is used in building your website, you need not pay an extra fee to have a blog. WordPress itself is a blog. So you would pay for customization but not for a blogging platform.
5. If a website has windows sample pictures as its background, and you paid ANYTHING for it, you were most probably ripped off.
6. WordPress.com is a free blogging platform. You should not pay for it. Unless for management purposes.
7. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is not a one time thing, unless you have a really static site. But if you don’t, then its an ongoing process and should be treated as such.
8. To get analytics data for your website, google analytics is the best free tool there is. Monitor visitors and traffic flow with google analytics.
Ok, that’s as much as I can think of right now. I’m sure I’ve missed out on something.
If you notice something not in the list please share with us. Just leave a comment in the comment box.
And don’t forget to subscribe to my blog.